Thursday, June 9, 2011

Day 4- Movie Madness

Today's summer event was the kiddie morning movie. We all remember this, don't we? The local movie theater would show an old kids' movie and it would cost $1.00 to get in and there were really cheap snacks? I remember seeing "The Wizard of Oz," "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang," and perhaps my favorite "Bugs Bunny's Arabian Nights- 1001 Rabbit Tales." I have loved movies for as long as I can remember and I seriously chalk it up to all the old ones I got to see in the summertime as a kid.

Well, there just so happens to be a theater here in Athens that does kid's movies every Tuesday and Thursday. And, like the theaters in Tampa in the 80's, they charged a whopping dollar a ticket to get in. Woo hoo! Snacks were a little pricier- $1.50 for popcorn and $1.50 for a drink. (I seem to remember those being only 50 cents a piece when I was little. Inflation. I tell ya!)

Now, before you get all weirded out that I was the 34 year old woman going by herself to a kiddie movie at 10:00 in the morning on a Thursday, have no fear- I took my 4 year old along. What was our movie du jour? Wait for it...


Beggars can't be choosers, I guess. (Note to self, next time check out the entire summer lineup BEFORE choosing which week to go. Could have seen "Megamind," "How To Train Your Dragon," or "Despicable Me" if I'd planned a little better. Anywho, in we went.


The theater was about half full. A GIANT school group came in and sat all around us right before the movie started. The adult part of my brain went "Ugh. They're going to annoy the crap out of me!!" Then, I reminded myself that this was a KIDS MOVIE. THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO BE THERE. Plus, when I was 6, I didn't even notice any other kids around me; I was so excited to be in the cool, dark theater with snacks at 10:00 in the morning!!!! Are you kidding me???? So, I adjusted my attitude accordingly.

Lights down, snacks up, DVD player on? WHAT? You read that right- the movie was a DVD. We watched the guy in the booth get to the menu on the DVD and select "Play Movie". That was...odd. But, it got the process started a little faster to not sit through loads of previews.

The movie was...well...not so good. But, all the children in the theater behaved accordingly. They loved it. And an hour and a half out of the heat is always a good thing. A lovely morning was had by all and I think Tuesdays and Thursdays might become movie mornings around here.

1 comment:

  1. That is way too awesome that the movie was in dvd format. Hahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete