Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Day 14- Wildlife acquisition...

...or, as I like to call it- CRITTER CATCHING. Here's a little secret about D.G. that most of you probably don't know. I am an EXPERT frog and grasshopper catcher. Particularly frogs and toads. I know, I know; you're all thinking "Um, she's a big ol' prissy pants. She catches bugs and frogs??" Yes, yes I do. I always have. And growing up in Florida, we had our fair share of both bugs AND frogs. My favorites were the electric green tree frogs that were so little and fast and stuck to ANYTHING. They were the loudest at night when the sun went down and they were absolutely everywhere if you got up early enough in the morning before the real heat struck.

But, I digress. I decided that tonight was the time to reclaim my title of world's greatest critter catcher. Off I headed to my backyard with my official bottle to contain said critters. I was primarily looking for toads, since frogs are hard to find up here. And what do you know? After about a minute, I'd spotted one! So, I penned him in and voila!


You're mine, toad. All mine.

Now, when one is hunting for frogs and toads and grasshoppers and such, one has to be very aware that there could be a release of...fluids at some point. Again, I know what you're all thinking- "Dawn has had critters pee and/or spit on her and she didn't freak out???" Nope. Want proof?


Note the 3rd and 4th fingers. Yep. Toad pee. Deal with that!

As I continued my hunt, I realized that dusk in Georgia may not be the best time to look for toads. It was a great time for tree frogs in Florida. Not so much here. But, I was bound and determined to find at least one more before I gave up. Well, lo and behold along the fenceline, TINY TOAD NUMBER 2!!


They were clearly being coy. Ignoring each other in a toady attempt to be cool. That's ok. I get it.

So that was all she wrote in terms of my critter catching for the night. I wanted to find more toads, but I was out of time and luck both. It was loads of fun, though. And most importantly, I'm just as AWESOME at catching stuff as I was as a kid. Aw yeah.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, eww!! I'm so glad that there are people out there who can do this for their kids and such......but I am so glad that my girls are not into that (so far!). Congrats on still being an expert critter catcher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a ton of tiny toads around our patio. They're so frickin adorable. A few of them have made homes in my tomato plants.

    ReplyDelete